Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fast drop in cd4 count
Nov 22, 2005

My cd4 count in one year went from 364 to 56 I am on Videx Ziagen Rescriptor i have been positive for 22 years and no illness so far. THIS IS ONE OF MAY DRUG COMBINATIONS i have been on . What is left to take.

Response from Dr. Sherer

While the average CD4 decline without treatment is around 100 CD4 cells per year, there is considerable variability. About one quarter of patients have more rapid disease progression with a more rapid decline in CD4 cells.

From the history you describe, you are unlikely to be in this group, as you have had the virus for a very long time.

There are many treatment options in the event of the loss of activity with an NNRTI-based regimen, in your case with Rescriptor. Most commonly in this era a boosted PI such as lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra) would be used, with several effective alternatives such as boosted saquinavir. This may depend on the drugs that are available to you and your doctor.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about the next alternative in your situation. Please be aware that I lack important information about your case, i.e. the full treatment history, your response to past regimens, and the results of resistance tests, if any. Your doctor has the most complete information about the specifics of your case, so he or she is the one to make the next plan with.

Previous
changing meds--does this really cause drug resistances
Next
No Meds ??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.