HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

fast drop in cd4 count

My cd4 count in one year went from 364 to 56 I am on Videx Ziagen Rescriptor i have been positive for 22 years and no illness so far. THIS IS ONE OF MAY DRUG COMBINATIONS i have been on . What is left to take.

Response from Dr. Sherer

While the average CD4 decline without treatment is around 100 CD4 cells per year, there is considerable variability. About one quarter of patients have more rapid disease progression with a more rapid decline in CD4 cells.

From the history you describe, you are unlikely to be in this group, as you have had the virus for a very long time.

There are many treatment options in the event of the loss of activity with an NNRTI-based regimen, in your case with Rescriptor. Most commonly in this era a boosted PI such as lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra) would be used, with several effective alternatives such as boosted saquinavir. This may depend on the drugs that are available to you and your doctor.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about the next alternative in your situation. Please be aware that I lack important information about your case, i.e. the full treatment history, your response to past regimens, and the results of resistance tests, if any. Your doctor has the most complete information about the specifics of your case, so he or she is the one to make the next plan with.

changing meds--does this really cause drug resistances
No Meds ??