Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Staying undectable
Oct 29, 2005

I have recently started on HIV meds Sustiva / Truvada. My VL went from 220,000 down to 153 in 5 months and my CD4 count from 704 to 880. I am worried that I'm not going to be completely undetectable. I have not missed even one dose yet? Am I gonna fail? About how long before I should start to see myself fall to AIDS level of 200 count CD4? They are also considering starting me on a PI to bring my VL down to below 50. Is this wise?

Response from Dr. Sherer

It's great that you have not missed a single dose - keep it up!

It often takes more than 5 months to become undetectable. Its more likely when the baseline viral load is over 100,000, as in your case. All other measures suggest that you are having a positive response to the regimen, so I suggest that you be patient and continue your excellent record of adherence.

It would be reasonable to consider an alternative regimen if you remain viremic, or if there is evidence of a loss of response - but not at this time. If a change is made, then the use of a PI-based regimen would be reasonable.

The average loss of CD4 cells in a person without ART is around 100 cells/year. It is likely that you have some time before reaching a level of 200 CD4 cells.

I suggest you talk to your doctor about these issues, and about your concerns.

Previous
PEP failed?
Next
azt resistance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.