The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Sherer....
Sep 30, 2005


My exposure was I had protected sex with a prostitute, I ejaculated out and i saw the condom was on my penis.....but here is the twist!

While I was withdrawing my condom had slipped, I vaguely remember but not sure that it covered my urethra....atleast what I am sure of is that when I withdrew I saw the condom hanging on my penis. I AM DEAD FOR SURE!!

To make matters worse, I have severe guilt...I cheated on my girlfriend......

In above circumstances should I test?

I have no symptoms of STD/HIV(ARS) up till now.....It's been close to 30 days.

Love From india

Response from Dr. Sherer

I personally have no judgement of you for this action, neither positive nor negative. People choose to have sex, and smart people do stupid things, all the time. I will remind you that you chose to use a condom. You made this choice - perhaps you know your true feelings better now for feeling this guilt. I urge you not to make things worse by delaying further. Both you and your girlfriend need to be tested, and you need to tell her what happened. You will only make things worse by waiting.

As you know, it doesn't matter that you have no symptoms. Go NOW to a doctor and tell him or her what happened, and ask for an HIV test and tests for STIs (syphilis, and perhaps GC and chlamydia).

Then go tell your girlfriend what happened, so that she can also get tested for HIV and STIs. Whether she leaves you or stays is up to her, but you are doing her an additional injury by not telling her.

Is this an ERROR?
cd4 goes up but viral load also again

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint