HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

being faithful to my meds

dear doc,lately i havent been sticking to the time of taking my meds. over two occacions in the same month i have been taking my meds at exactly 1hr 30 mins later. im currently on Sustiva, Tenofovir & Lamivudine. other than these two occasions i have been faithful. i was wondering, am i at risk of resistance. thank u. P.

Response from Dr. Sherer

You should be OK. You describe a remarkable degree of 'being faithful' to your medications, at a level very difficult to achieve, and to sustain, so keep it up.

One of the benefits of the Sustiva containing regimens is 'forgiveness'. Two of your medicines - Sustiva and tenofovir - have very long half lifes in the blood, so variations of 90 minutes in the dosing interval as you describe are only infrequently associated with sub-optimal blood levels. These same attributes are also a strength of regimens containing boosted PIs.

I would also suggest that you talk to your doctor about this issue, as he or she may have important information about your case that I lack.

Adherence Worry
Short holiday