HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Adherence Worry

Hi I've been taking Sustiva, Tenofovir & Lamivudine for 4 months. VL is undetectable and CD4 is 450. I've taken my meds within a 10 minute window every evening for the ast four months, but tonight I missed my medication time by 1 hour & 45 minutes (because I was enthralled by a Dr Who DVD of all things!). I've taken my meds as soon as I've remembered but now I feel like I've put myself at an unnecessary risk by forgetting for almost two hours. My question is...have I risked my health by being forgetful?

Response from Dr. Sherer

Probably not - your record has been exceptional, and your regimen is one of the more 'forgiving', in that the half lives of two of the drugs in your blood are very long, eg 40 hours. A single delay of 1-2 hours over 4 months is not likely to lead to resistance.

Your story is important because it suggests that excellent adherence is partly a matter of establishing a very strong routine for taking your meds, and then sticking with it, even when there's an interesting DVD on to distract you. Other common distractions from good adherence routines include drugs and alcohol and 'major life disruptions of all kinds. Setting up good adherence habits can help to prevent these events from leading to drug interruptions.

How many doses of meds can I miss?
being faithful to my meds