HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

When to stop Fuzeon

I have been using Fuzeon (T-20) since it became available under expanded access. Recently my HIV Health care provider attended a conference in New Orleans, and contacted me from this conference to stop my fusion inhibitator. While using Fuzeon my VL never dipped below 50,000, and recently it has begun to climb, most recent 86,000. My doctor has ordered a phenotype to determine if I am developing resistence to the Fuzeon. In addition to the fusion inhibiator, I take Lexiva Tabs 700mg, Ziagen 300mg Truvada and Norvir booster. If I do not show restience to Fuzeon my Doctor wants to restart it and add Tipranavir/r, when it become available.

Should I have D/C the Fuzeon, and should I stop HAART all together until new drugs are available?

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

You ask some pretty tough questions that I can't fully answer because I really don't know enough about your history to render an educated response. I'm sure your provider has a solid plan for you and I'd follow his/her suggestions. If your provider only suggested you stop your Fuzeon, I'd definately continue with the other agents. If we assumed the worst, such as you were resistant to all the agents), you are still getting some benefit from them. While a VL of 86,000 may not be ideal, you've got enough drug activity on board to keep it from reaching 200,000, 500K or a million! If you stopped all your drugs, who knows what would happen to your VL or CD4 count.

Resistance testing is definately in order and you should have results within about 2-3 weeks after it's collected. Tipranavir is now on the market and in most retail pharmacies. I'm not sure how many ADAP programs have in on board at this time. Additional options to consider include clinical trials involving TMC114, TMC125, CCR5 inhbitors, and many other agents that are being studied.

--dk

fuzeon soreness
Hi (Medicine for AIDS)