The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No Insurance
Jul 4, 2005

My son was diagnosed with full blown AIDS last October. He was in the hospital twice since then. He is currently on Sustiva/Truvada combination therapy and is doing very well, but recently moved to California from Illinois to be closer to be closer to his family. Currently we don't know how to pay for his medications, beign that they are so expensive. Can you help??

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, and so can his physician. Like all states, Illinois participates in the AIDS Drug Access Program (ADAP), through which the Ryan White CARE Act and the state pay for antiretroviral therapy (ART) and most medications to prevent opportunistic infections. In addition, there are some public clinics (such as Title III Clinics supported by the federal Health Resources and Services Administration) and public hospitals (eg The CORE Center of Stroger Hospital in Chicago (formerly Cook County Hospital) that provide ART for patients without insurance until they receive private insurance, medicaid, or until they are enrolled in ADAP.

Most HIV doctors and clinicians are familiar with the simple measures that are required to enroll a patient in ADAP. Moreover, there are HIV/AIDS advocacy organizations that can be helpful as well, a few of which are noted below. The best answer likely will depend on where in Illinois he is living.

My advice is to use the listings below to find an experienced HIV doctor or clinician in Illinois near his current residence, after which the other steps will become clear.

State of Illinois HIV Hotline: 1-800-AID-AIDS Illinois AIDS Drug Assistance Program: 1-800-225-3518

Test Positive Aware Network (Chicago): 1-773-989-9400, AIDS Foundation of Chicago (Chicago): 1-312-922-2322, The CORE Center (Chicago): 1-312-572-4500

Unable to genotype or phenotype
Unsure If I should switch Meds

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint