HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

RE: Please help! I am getting worried

A few months ago I wrote you when I was very worried about my two previous viral load results. I want to let you know that the results of my most recent labs have shown my v/l back down to undetectable. The only thing I regret is having worried about it so much for the last three months. Thanks so much for all you do for us HIVers. Guess it's time to get back to my life now.

I was diagnosed positive in Sept of 2000. I was able to defer treatment until May of 2004, after my cd4's had gradually dropped to 250/22% and my viral load was over 225k. My doctor put me on a first line treatment of Viramune & Trizivir. I have been RELIGIOUS to the point of obsession when it comes to taking my meds, with only one missed dose since May 18, 2003, when I started therapy. My viral load went to undetectable within six months of starting therapy and my cd4 jumped to 345/36% as of 8/2004. My last two readings have me concerned. Those being cd4 328/39% vl 146 in 11/2004 and cd4 344/38% vl 290 in 2/2005. I am concerned about this creeping up of the viral load. How can this be? Is this the start of resistance? I am really obsessing over this!

Response from Dr. Sherer

Thank you for the follow up. Yes, do go back to your life...though not so far away from the HIV issue that you loose the great adherence habits that you established, as they have served you well.

Resistance testing
impact of surgery on HAART