Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

FUZEON EFFICACY PERIOD
Jun 27, 2005

DEAR DON, IT IS GOOD TO KNOW THAT FUZEON IS WORKING WELL ENOUGH IN TRACKING DOWN THE VIRUS . BUT MY Q IS, FOR A FUZEON NAIVE PATIENT ,HOW MANY YEARS IT WILL WORK BEFORE THE VIRUS TURNS FUZEON RESISTANT? WHAT IS UR PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE ABOUT fuzeon efficacy period WHEN U TREATED UR PATIENTS?

SAME Q ARISES ABOUT OTHER CURRENTLY AVAILABLE REGIMENS. HOW LONG A PATIENT CAN USE 1ST REGIMEN WITH NRTI n NNRTIs BEFORE DRUG RESISTANCE APPEARS? FOR 4 OR 5 YEARS ONLY OR LONGER THAN THAT? I HAVE HEARD OF A PATIENT IN BOMBAY, WHO IS STILL USING 2 NRTIs n 1 NNRTI REGIMEN (STAVUDINE+ LAMIVUDINE+ NEVIRAPINE) FOR 8 YEARS AFTER HE WAS DIAGNOSED TO HAVE HIV. ALSO I HAVE Q ABOUT PROTEASE INHIBITORS EFFICACY PERIOD.

ANOTHER Q IS, ADEFOVIR IS A NUCLEOTIDE ANALOGUE. IS IT USED IN ANY HAART REGIMEN POPULARLY? IF NOT, WHY?

TODAY I FINISH HERE. HAVE GOOD HEALTH n MIND. KEEP IN TOUCH. THANK U TITAS, MBBS STUDENT,INDIA

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

Titas,

Fuzeon is like other antiretroviral agents in that there are MANY things that can influence how long it will remain active (or conversely, how long it takes resistance to develop). Some of these factors are the individual's adherence to the agents, availability of other active drugs used in the regimen combination, other factors that could affect drug levels such as malaborption, the potential for the patient to "inherit" additional resistance via unprotected sexual activity or needle-sharing, etc. I have seen patients have great virologic and immunologic response from Fuzeon-based regimens with no signs of resistance. But I have also seen patients rebound shortly after initiation of Fuzeon in a regimen, most likely when other active agents were not used in the combination.

Adefovir is indeed a nucleotide analog. It was initially planned as an antiretroviral drug for treatment of HIV. In the doses needed for HIV treatment, it was renally toxic and did not get approved for HIV treatment. In a much lower dose it is now approved for treatment of hepatitis B.

-dk

Previous
fuzeon cost
Next
treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.