HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Had to stop treatmnet for 11 days

I started taking Combivir & Stochrin on 02 March and had to stop on 02 May because I was sorting out a medical aid problem. I can now assume now after 11 days. Have I messed up and what are the chances of resistance?

Response from Dr. Sherer

You are right to worry about this episode, as Stocrin-containing regimens are vulnerable to periods of drug interruption due to the fact that a single amino acid mutation, which can happen rapidly, leads to full resistance to Stocrin.

However, in large clinical trials of patients on this regimen, there was no difference between people who stopped their meds temporarily and those who stayed on throughout the trial.

Recently, the recommendations for stopping NNRTI-containing regimens (ie containing efavirenz (Sustiva or Stocrin) and nevirapine (Viramune)) have changed because of concerns for the longer blood half life with these drugs compared to the NRTIs, such as combivir. It is recommended that, if you have to stop your medications for any reason, first stop the Stocrin, and then stop the combivir 1-2 weeks later. Another alternative is to stop the Viramune and start a protease inhibitor for 1-2 weeks, and then stop all the meds together.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about these issues. Whether or not this episode has caused drug resistance will be seen when you repeat your next lab values.

PCR result after stopped PEP 33 days
CD4 Cells Decline While Viral Load Nears Undetectable