HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

PCR result after stopped PEP 33 days

I had unprotected sex with HIV+ girl (Known later). I took PEP 18 hrs later. After stopped meds 33 days, i tested for PCR-RNA and it came back Negative. I had Rapid test at 10 weeks post exposure..Result was Negative. Can both result give me a conclusive and definite?

Would PEP had effected to PCR-RNA Result?

Response from Dr. Sherer

These tests suggest strongly that you were not infected. It is unlikely that a PCR-RNA test done after stopping the meds for a month would be negative if you had been infected, as viral load reliably rebounds one week after stopping therapy. I suggest you simply follow the protocol and repeat the HIV antibody test after 6 months adn 12 months to further support the absence of infection. At present, the evidence is that you were not infected. As to 'conclusive and definitve' - unfortunately, no, I can't totally eliminate the possibility that infection occurred. That is the reason that another ELISA test at 6 months and 12 months post exposure is recommended.

More importantly, I would strongly suggest that you not put yourself at risk in future and use a condom all the time to save yourself this anxiety.

Viral Load
Had to stop treatmnet for 11 days