HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

geno test

Dear Dr Sherer, My partner got infected from me. He is unable to have the geno test as his VL is low. Can he use my geno resistance test in the future to determine what resistance does he has? Do we have the same strain of HIV?

When is the geno test invented? I mean people start using the test?

Your input would be much appreciated.

Bob

Response from Dr. Sherer

He can share the results of your genotype test with his doctor, but it will not be 'definitive'. There are several uncertainties here. How can he and his doctor be sure that he acquired your virus? Also, there can be differences in one's circulating virus (upon which the genotype is based) and the virus that one has in one's sperm and semen. And finally, the relationship between your partner's virus and your genotype may not be straightforward. How can his physician be certain that his infection occurred at the same time that your genotype was obtained? Another consideration is whether or not you have been on ART, and for how long, in relation to both your most recent genotype and the time frame in which he was infected.

I suggest that you go with him with that test result to see his doctor and discuss these issues, and of course you can also get the advice of your own physician. There may be other specific issues in your situation that I am unaware of.

resistance of sustiva
Occasional dosage missing