HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Changing Meds

I am currently taking Sustiva, Epivir and Viread for 14 months with good results. Undetectable VL and T-cell going from 148 to 348. My doc asked if I wanted to change to Truvada. As a combo including Sustiva will be available next year would you suggest this? Also does Emtriva stay in the body longer than Epivir? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Sherer

The mechanism of action and the resistance profile of Epivir and Emtriva are nearly identical. The main difference is in the pharmacology; as you suggest, the half life of Emtriva is considerably longer. I note that both are approved for once daily use. Also, while the toxicity profiles appear to be similar, there is many more years experience with Epivir.

The advantage for you now to making this switch is fairly small - one less pill per day, and perhaps one less co-pay at the pharmacy. A three drug combination is in formulation, as you suggest, with an uncertain time of development.

The decision to make this change is up to you and your physician. I see no reasons not to make the change.

viral load measurement
resistance of sustiva