Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Changing Meds
Jun 13, 2005

I am currently taking Sustiva, Epivir and Viread for 14 months with good results. Undetectable VL and T-cell going from 148 to 348. My doc asked if I wanted to change to Truvada. As a combo including Sustiva will be available next year would you suggest this? Also does Emtriva stay in the body longer than Epivir? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Sherer

The mechanism of action and the resistance profile of Epivir and Emtriva are nearly identical. The main difference is in the pharmacology; as you suggest, the half life of Emtriva is considerably longer. I note that both are approved for once daily use. Also, while the toxicity profiles appear to be similar, there is many more years experience with Epivir.

The advantage for you now to making this switch is fairly small - one less pill per day, and perhaps one less co-pay at the pharmacy. A three drug combination is in formulation, as you suggest, with an uncertain time of development.

The decision to make this change is up to you and your physician. I see no reasons not to make the change.

Previous
viral load measurement
Next
resistance of sustiva

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.