Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Counts.....
May 11, 2005

Hi, I have been HIV positive since 1999, since then I pretty consistant with my counts. I just had gotten my blood drawn and my counts were CD4: 458, CD8: 528, and my viral load has been undetectable. I am wondering if that is "good" or if I have cause for concern. Thank you.

Melissa

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, that is good. It suggests that you are not a 'rapid progressor' who is likely to have a rapid fall in their CD4 cell count.

If this were to continue for 10 or more years, you would fall into the category of 'long term non-progressor', i.e. one who does not seem to exhibit the immune destruction that is so common in HIV disease. This occurs in only a few percent of patients with HIV.

It is too early to say whether you fall into this category at present. I would urge you to stay in close contact with your physician, and to have your CD4 cell count and viral load checked every 3-6 months to ensure that this trend continues, and to ensure that if a fall in CD4 cell count and rise in viral load does occur, you will detect it in time to plan a reasonable response with your doctor.

Previous
I'v tried all the medications, What next?
Next
Stopping Meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.