HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Counts.....

Hi, I have been HIV positive since 1999, since then I pretty consistant with my counts. I just had gotten my blood drawn and my counts were CD4: 458, CD8: 528, and my viral load has been undetectable. I am wondering if that is "good" or if I have cause for concern. Thank you.

Melissa

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, that is good. It suggests that you are not a 'rapid progressor' who is likely to have a rapid fall in their CD4 cell count.

If this were to continue for 10 or more years, you would fall into the category of 'long term non-progressor', i.e. one who does not seem to exhibit the immune destruction that is so common in HIV disease. This occurs in only a few percent of patients with HIV.

It is too early to say whether you fall into this category at present. I would urge you to stay in close contact with your physician, and to have your CD4 cell count and viral load checked every 3-6 months to ensure that this trend continues, and to ensure that if a fall in CD4 cell count and rise in viral load does occur, you will detect it in time to plan a reasonable response with your doctor.

I'v tried all the medications, What next?
Stopping Meds