HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

veread-3tc/truvada not the same

you stated there is no diference in the april 20 2005 quetion on these two drugs. truvada added an " insignificant" molecule to 3tc to patented it in a veread combo (drug company pattent problems) according to my sources. the pill may have cllnical insignificace on viral load and t cell count but i wanted to inform you that when i was switched to truvada the (emtriva) made me very malase, fatiqued and unfocused mentally. you may want to revise your anwere as to alert others of what i found to be unacceptable side effects(preventing me from funtionability). jeff

Response from Dr. Sherer

Thank you for this report.

The antiviral effects and resistance characteristics of emtricitabine (FTC) and lamivudine (3TC) are comparable, and both have appeared to be very well tolerated in clinical trials to date. The main difference is pharmacologic, in that FTC has a much longer serum half-life, and is only dosed once daily.

As the signs and symptoms that you report have not been described in significant numbers to date in patients on FTC, I would urge you to discuss these side effects with your physician to ensure that there is/was not another identifiable cause that might account for them.

One of the most difficult problems for a clinician to deal with are low frequency side effects. There is always the possibility that an individual may have an idiosyncratic adverse drug reaction to any new drug, and this is possible in your case. Only a detailed review with an experienced HIV physician familiar with your history and status will help to determine whether this was indeed a reaction to FTC.

Thank you again for the information.

drug holiday for training gains?
I'v tried all the medications, What next?