HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Can I have a baby?

I am HIV+ and I am on med,vl= undetectable and cd4 count 555. My husband is negative and we dreamed to have a baby. Can we have a baby? How?

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, you can. Women with HIV+ who are in your situation, i.e. with an undetectable viral load, and who remain with that status during the nine months of pregnancy, have an extremely low risk of transmitting the virus to the baby. Though that risk is not zero, it is well below 1%.

Many HIV+ women, and couples in which the woman is HIV+, choose to have babies under these circumstances. This decision is not simple, as there are obvious long term issues that should be considered. I would urge you and your husband to talk to an HIV physician with knowledge and experience in reproductive counseling to consider all the issues involved in the decision. I can't do this issue justice in this kind of format.

You may also be asking how you can conceive without putting your husband at risk. In this era of in-vitro fertilization, you can be artificially inseminated with your husband's sperm, and in the meantime continue to follow safe sex guidelines in order to prevent transmitting HIV to him. Here again, the advise and counseling of an experienced HIV physician is vital.

I urge you to contact the health centers with experience in the care of HIV+ women for further advise, and possibly for referral to centers that perform artificial insemination.

Tipanivir Now or TMC 114 Later?
crossroads