Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resistant strains
Apr 3, 2005

I just got married to an HIV positive man who is resistant to the HIV treatment regimine I am on. My question is, if we stop using condoms (I am getting on birth control), can he reinfect me with his drug resistant strain and that second strain make me become resistant to the treatment regimine I am doing so well on?

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, he can. I reviewed some recent data in an earlier question on the same issue today. Though infrequent, it can occur. If he is not well controlled virologically, his chance of transmitting to you is greater than if his viral load were below detection.

I urge you both to continue to practice safe sex for this reason, and to talk to your doctors about this issue. I don't have nearly enough of the information I would need to provide a more informed answer to this question; your doctors do.

Previous
novel class of anti-retrovirals
Next
Salvage Therapy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.