HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Resistant strains

I just got married to an HIV positive man who is resistant to the HIV treatment regimine I am on. My question is, if we stop using condoms (I am getting on birth control), can he reinfect me with his drug resistant strain and that second strain make me become resistant to the treatment regimine I am doing so well on?

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, he can. I reviewed some recent data in an earlier question on the same issue today. Though infrequent, it can occur. If he is not well controlled virologically, his chance of transmitting to you is greater than if his viral load were below detection.

I urge you both to continue to practice safe sex for this reason, and to talk to your doctors about this issue. I don't have nearly enough of the information I would need to provide a more informed answer to this question; your doctors do.

novel class of anti-retrovirals
Salvage Therapy