Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What time of Day to Get Blood Tests
Feb 12, 2005

Dr Sherer

Do you generally have your patients get tests at a particular time of day or does it vary?

I ask this question because many books on HIV suggest that CD4 counts are naturally as much as 200 points higher in the afternoon than in the morning. Two doctors on this site have given different answers about this and apparently there are also studies that show that counts can be higher in the morning.

It seems to me that until a definitive study is done to answer this question all studies and comparisisons relying on CD4 as an indicator are unreliable, except that if ones cD4 count keeps falling over time this is a bad thing and counts below 200 are a bad thing.

But if a CD4 count can be 200 higher in the evening than in the morning doesnt the same count have different health implications depending on when in the day it was taken?

Should studies report when counts were done?

Response from Dr. Sherer

Most HIV clinicians are aware of this issue, but this does not mean that the CD4 cell counts for a given patient are not reliable. Usually, patients are seen at the same time of day (morning or afternoon), and usually have their lab tests drawn at the same time of day in the same lab. As you suggest, the physician is responsible for ensuring that these statements are true for a given patient, and for being aware of exceptions to these rules.

The most recent CD4 cell count is the strongest predictor of a patient's prognosis, so the issues of relying on both a single CD4 cell count number and trends over time are extremely important, as you suggest.

Finally, when an 'outlyer' value of CD4 cell count is observed by a physician, the usual practice is to repeat it, and to explore possible reasons for the discrepancy, one of which might be the time of day. If you have concerns regarding these issues in your own care, I urge you to discuss them with your doctor.

Previous
Questioning Doctor's Treatment
Next
CD4 count 299.....should i start it now?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.