Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long can i stay out of meds
Feb 11, 2005

I have been out of meds for 2 years and am still very healthy and strong. How long can i stay out? my cd4 and viral load are very good according to my doc.

Response from Dr. Sherer

It's great that you've done well off of ART for as long as 2 years. There is quite a wide range reported for people like yourself who stop drugs after excellent adherence with high CD4 cells and viral loads below detection. This may last for months or even years longer. I would avoid being complancent about it, and continue to regularly see your doctor and monitor your viral load and CD4 cells. The individuals who seem to have the longest period off of meds are those who did not have extremely low CD4 cells when they started, e.g. < 200 cells/ml, nor did they have very high viral loads when they started, e.g. > 100,000 copies/ml. You should approach this as a holiday that will end sometime, after which you can resume treatment with the expectation of the same good results, and even the possibility of another drug holiday in future.

Previous
Regimen Failing
Next
viramune / combo failure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.