HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

How long can i stay out of meds

I have been out of meds for 2 years and am still very healthy and strong. How long can i stay out? my cd4 and viral load are very good according to my doc.

Response from Dr. Sherer

It's great that you've done well off of ART for as long as 2 years. There is quite a wide range reported for people like yourself who stop drugs after excellent adherence with high CD4 cells and viral loads below detection. This may last for months or even years longer. I would avoid being complancent about it, and continue to regularly see your doctor and monitor your viral load and CD4 cells. The individuals who seem to have the longest period off of meds are those who did not have extremely low CD4 cells when they started, e.g. < 200 cells/ml, nor did they have very high viral loads when they started, e.g. > 100,000 copies/ml. You should approach this as a holiday that will end sometime, after which you can resume treatment with the expectation of the same good results, and even the possibility of another drug holiday in future.

Regimen Failing
viramune / combo failure