HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Regimen Failing

Hello, my current regimen (trizivir, sustiva) seems to be failing as I seem to be having more than just blips. I will be less than 50, then 1000, then 350, then 200, then 1090, then 200, etc. My dr. keeps trying to get a resistance test, but whenever they send my blood off, the VL is less than 1000. My dr. told me that we would just stay the course for now until we can eventually get a resistance test as he doesn't want to put me on a regimen that might fail. My cdr hovers around 500 and actually seems to increase a bit whenever the VL increases. Do you think it's ok to stay the course for now and just wait until a resistance test can be performed? Thanks! Brian

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, under the circumstances I would prefer not to make any change in your regimen without a clearer understanding of the reason for the variable viral load, and some direction in the next regimen.

You are in no danger from such a course, given the relatively high CD4 cell count.

Your best action is to do everything possible not to miss doses, and work with your doctor to monitor your progress and obtain another genotype test in the presence of a high viral load.

How long before resistance
How long can i stay out of meds