Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Imuno Acid Interactions with Anti Retro Virals
Dec 31, 2004

Dear Dr.

Thank You for the great work you do.

I am from South Africa and I am on a regimen of Stocrin, 3TC and Zerit.

I need to know if there will be any drug interaction if I add an Imuno Acid to my protein supplement I take after training.

Thanking you in advance for your reply.

Response from Dr. Sherer

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that there are specific data available that would answer your question.

The source of the most extensive drug interaction testing for the drugs you are taking is the manufacturer's themselves, i.e. Glaxo Smith Kline and Bristol Meyers Squibb.

However, I doubt that the specific compound you describe has ever been tested, as it is a dietary additive, rather than a 'drug'.

If you had asked me about an 'amino acid', I would have said that the chance of a meaningful interaction is small, as amino acids are found in proteins, and the agents you describe are all recommended to be taken with food. However, I am unfamiliar with the contents of 'Imuno Acid'.

I suggest you take the bottle to your doctor, and to your pharmacist, in order to ascertain what exactly it contains, and what, if any, interactions your doctor and your pharmacist might anticipate with the drugs you are taking.

Two websites on drug-drug interactions for HIV medications are: www.hivpharmacology.com www.hiv-druginteractions.org

In addition, the HHS Guidelines contains information on drug-drug interactions, including recreational drugs, and can be accessed at: http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines

Finally, you and your doctor may decide, in the absence of guidance from known sources, to conduct your own trial with this supplement, and to monitor your viral load and CD4 cell count carefully while you take the supplement.

Previous
Drug Resistance
Next
Viramune Flaws through Research Testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.