HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Should i be worried?

Hi, I am hiv from 10 years , started with cd4 = 3 and over a million vl. today thans to the drugs my cd4 is 726 and vl = 0 for 4 years. The thing is half year ago my vl was 0 and cd4 was 900, and last month when i took the test i found out i am still vl=o but cd4=726. My dr. told my i got no reason to be worried cause as log as the vl stays 0 it shows the drugs are doing their job and just cause my cd4 dropped from 900 to 726 doesn't mean something is wrong, he said it happens oftely the cd4 gets up and downs ... is that correct? can i be releaxed? please answer me as i feel i am loosing my mind.

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, what your doctor is telling you is true, there are often wide variations in CD4 cell counts at the higher range, as high as 15-30%. You can ask your doctor whether the CD4 percentage also varied; it is often less prone to wide variation. A change of <3% suggests that the change in the absolute number was not significant.

Rather than worry while waiting for the next value, you should be reassured by the excellent record of adherence and virologic control that you have accomplished over the years.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about these concerns.

Thinking of taking a second prolonged drug holiday
resistance