Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should i be worried?
Dec 6, 2004

Hi, I am hiv from 10 years , started with cd4 = 3 and over a million vl. today thans to the drugs my cd4 is 726 and vl = 0 for 4 years. The thing is half year ago my vl was 0 and cd4 was 900, and last month when i took the test i found out i am still vl=o but cd4=726. My dr. told my i got no reason to be worried cause as log as the vl stays 0 it shows the drugs are doing their job and just cause my cd4 dropped from 900 to 726 doesn't mean something is wrong, he said it happens oftely the cd4 gets up and downs ... is that correct? can i be releaxed? please answer me as i feel i am loosing my mind.

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, what your doctor is telling you is true, there are often wide variations in CD4 cell counts at the higher range, as high as 15-30%. You can ask your doctor whether the CD4 percentage also varied; it is often less prone to wide variation. A change of <3% suggests that the change in the absolute number was not significant.

Rather than worry while waiting for the next value, you should be reassured by the excellent record of adherence and virologic control that you have accomplished over the years.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about these concerns.

Previous
Thinking of taking a second prolonged drug holiday
Next
resistance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.