Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thinking of taking a second prolonged drug holiday
Nov 21, 2004

Based on updated guidelines of DHHS for starting HIV treatment, I would like to give my body another break from meds. My regimen is only trizivir for the last two years and has been undetectable since then with a CD4 of 700-800 as of last lab test. I was positive since 1997 and started with a CD4 of 600 and 72000 viral load at that time. After taking combivir and viracept for three years and remained undetectable, I stopped taking meds for three years till my viral load reached 70000 when I resumed with Trizivir. What do think Doc of giving myself another "break" for perhaps a year or two?

Response from Dr. Sherer

I would not object to the plan for a treatment interruption in which you monitor your CD4 cells and viral load regularly, e.g. every 3 month or so. This strategy seems to allow patients to stay off medications for a year or more without undue harm, and those who do best are those who started treatment early, i.e. when their CD4 cell counts were above 200.

But I would only suggest you do this with your doctor's agreement, and the commitment from both you and your doctor to continue regular follow up. I would not advise that you do this on your own, as unexpected events are common in the course of HIV disease.

Previous
Am I becoming resistant?
Next
Should i be worried?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.