HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Why is Rescriptor So Unpopular?

Hello! I have recently switched to Rescriptor after having really bad reactions to both other Non-Nukes. The Viramune made my skin turn yellow and gave me high fevers and the Sustiva wouldn't let me get a decent night's sleep. (I'm also on Kaletra and Viread. Resistant to all Nukes except Viread.)

My HIV specialist told me that he's never had a patient on Rescriptor. I live in Los Angeles in a part of town where you'd think you'd find plenty of HIV positive people, yet my pharmacy tells me that I'm the only patient who is on that medication.

Is it just that people have found that the medication is inconvenient to take 3 times a day or is it an inferior NNRTI? I wasn't concerned until I found out that I'm the only one in town on the stuff.

Your input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Sherer

The reason for the unpopularity of delavirdine (Rescriptor) is as you suggest - it requires three times daily dosing. In the original registrational trials, it performed adequately, at a level comparable to nevirapine. Nonetheless, three times daily medications are clearly associated with poorer long term adherence, and thus it is less commonly used that the other NNRTIs.

Your challenge will be to overcome the difficulties of regular three times daily dosing...but if you can achieve this, delavirdine will be a useful component of your regimen.

Stop Meds?
Why the lower CD4 count?