HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Meds

my doctor now has me on Truvada, Reyataz, Noria, Emtriva. Is this a good combination

Response from Dr. Sherer

It is not possible to answer this question without knowing something of your history of past treatment (if any), responses, viral load(s) and CD4 cell count(s) prior to treatment. You should be reassured, however, that the three drug regimen of boosted atazanavir (Reyataz), i.e. atazanavir with ritonavir (Norvir), in combination with tenofovir (Viread) and Emtriva (emtricitidine) is recommended as an alternative regimen for drug naive patients in the current HHS Guidelines (10/04).

I advise you to contact your doctor right away about the drugs you have listed, however, because it appears that you are taking one drug - Emtriva or emtricidine - at twice the recommended dose. That is because Truvada is a two drug combination of tenofovir and emtricidine; so you should not be taking both Truvada and Emtriva together. While this is unlikely to cause serious side effects in the short term, there is no reason to do this, and there is an increased risk of side effects over time.

CBS News news on new drugs
Stop Meds?