Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible resistance?
Oct 27, 2004

Initially (08/03), my VL was 68400, CD4 was 155/23%. I immediately started combivir & sustiva. (11/03) my VL was 481, CD4 was 680/27%. (02/04) my VL increased to 1668, CD4 & % varied little. Resistance test and blood work was done the following month(03/04) which resulted in VL <400 and resistance not detected. (6/04) VL <50 CD4 491/30%. Between nov and feb my VL increased, even with 100% adherence. Could this be a blip? I am concerned that this could be resistance, even though I am currently undetectable and resistance testing came back "zero resistance identified"

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, a single viral load above the threshold for detection could simply be a 'blip', particularly if the value was between 50 and 1,000 copies. You and your doctor will repeat the test and then be in a better position to decide if this was a blip or evidence of early virologic failure.

As blips are common, occurring in 40% of patients on EFV-containing regimens in one study, you should simply continue your excellent record of adherence and repeat the studies with your physician.

Previous
r5 tropic or dual tropism
Next
Drug Holiday Was a Bad Move?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.