Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DDI - should I switch?
Mar 22, 2001

Dear Dr. Little: Thank you for your participation in this useful forum. My situation - I have been on ddI, 3TC and Viracept for about 2.5 years. Before that I was on AZT + 3TC for about one year. When I started the triple combination, my viral load was not super high (30,000) and my t-cells were about 400. My t-cells have been pretty stable around 600 or 700 for the whole time I've been on the combination and until about three months ago, my viral load had been undetectable. (I think for the last year my doctor has been using the really sensitive test). Anyhow, in December, my viral load came back at about 700. It dipped back down again two weeks later, and has been slowly climbing again and as of about four weeks ago it was around 5,000. My t-cells are still fine. My doctor did a resistance test, I think the genotype one, and it seems like I'm resistant to the 3TC and the Nelfinavir. Because I've already done AZT/3TC he is reluctant to try Abacavir, but he thinks I should stay on the ddI and just add a combination of Ritonavir and Crixivan. I'm wondering if we shouldn't just try to start from scratch. My question, I guess, is how conclusive is it the resistance test for ddI? I had read, I think, that it was possible to be resistant or at least fail on ddI, but not have it show up. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Little

You are correct about your concern about interpretation of resistance testing for ddI. Based upon your history, I would assume that you may have some degree of resistance to AZT in addition to ddI, 3TC, and nelfinavir (Viracept) - the latter two confirmed by your resistance test results. I think that the indinavir/ritonavir combination sounds reasonable, but the choice of ddI is possibly problematic (though difficult to predict, simply because resistance testing for this drug does not always identify mutations associated with drug resistance, EVEN in patient who are clinically failing the drug). Having said all this though, the alternatives to ddI are limited as well - including non-nucleosides or ddI plus d4T in addition to the PI combination.

Previous
How resistance is Norvir?
Next
VL increase after 5 years

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.