HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Question about taking meds

I was diagnosed hiv+ in July 04 and labs were cd-399,vl-100,000, lymph%-19%. I was started on combivir and viracept(625mg) on Sept. 04. Even though 100% adherent to meds, I misread my prescription bottle and was only taking 2 viracept a day instead of 4 a day. I recently found out my mistake and started taking 4 a day. Howover, I'm worried about what negative side effects this mistake will have. Should I be worried about drug resistance? Also, should I wait longer to have lab tests re-done because of the wrong dosage? Please answer - I'm very worried!

Thanks

Response from Dr. Sherer

I encourage you to talk to your doctor about this error and to adjust the schedule for lab asssessment with him or her. In general, I would not change the schedule based on your description.

You are right to be concerned about resistance. Resistance is more likely to develop in the face of sub-optimal drug levels which you had before you started the proper dose.

In the meantime, do your best to take all doses at the proper time with food (an important requirement with Viracept), and measure the CD4 and viral load as you and your doctor determine. Though resistance is a concern, it is also possible that you will achieve adequate virologic control in spite of this short-lived error.

I would also encourage you to talk to your doctor about the choice of this regimen, as several alternatives to Viracept have been shown to have superior performance in people starting therapy. I have attached the web site for the HHS Guidelines for more information on this subject. what to start

TCells going down
Treatment Failure