HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Med switch: resistance?

Positive for about a year and on combivir/sustiva for most of that time with stable, good results (VL=ND, CD4+=700; 38%). Some low grade AZT anemia making me and my doc think about truvada/sustiva. If we go in this direction would it be best to include AZT for a few days during my first few days as truvada kicks in to limit potential for AZT resistance? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Sherer

There is no reason to think that an alternate strategy is needed for a single drug substitution of zidovudine with tenofovir in your case. The NRTIs do not require days to 'kick in'; they are promptly absorbed, enter the cell nuclei, and are active. This is also true of tenofovir. You can safely stop the combivir in the evening and start the truvada, i.e. co-formulated emtricitabine (FTC) and tenofovir (TDF) the following morning.

CRF Literature
1 yr. anniversary