HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

detectable viral load

I have been on meds since Feb 2001. My original combo was combivir and sustiva. I switched to viramune after negative sustiva side effects. For the past year my viral load has been detectable, 134, 351, 119,164, however my cd4's have remained at 580. After viral load of 351, combivir was replaced by trizivir. Should I look at changing meds again - to a PI for example or continue as my doctor suggests on this same course. Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Sherer

I can't answer on the basis of the information you have provided. You neglected to describe the response to TZV + NVP. What happended? Did the viral load fall below 50? Did the CD4 cells remain stable or rise? Were you able to obtain a genotype during this time?

If the response was good, then I see no need to change at this point.

More importantly, I would work closely with your doctor during the next few months to monitor your status and watch for evidence of further viremia, and possible resistance, including obtaining a genotype in the presence of viremia.

drug resistance- what do i do??
Blips or Resistence???