Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

detectable viral load
Aug 24, 2004

I have been on meds since Feb 2001. My original combo was combivir and sustiva. I switched to viramune after negative sustiva side effects. For the past year my viral load has been detectable, 134, 351, 119,164, however my cd4's have remained at 580. After viral load of 351, combivir was replaced by trizivir. Should I look at changing meds again - to a PI for example or continue as my doctor suggests on this same course. Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Sherer

I can't answer on the basis of the information you have provided. You neglected to describe the response to TZV + NVP. What happended? Did the viral load fall below 50? Did the CD4 cells remain stable or rise? Were you able to obtain a genotype during this time?

If the response was good, then I see no need to change at this point.

More importantly, I would work closely with your doctor during the next few months to monitor your status and watch for evidence of further viremia, and possible resistance, including obtaining a genotype in the presence of viremia.

Previous
drug resistance- what do i do??
Next
Blips or Resistence???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.