The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Meds for those with few options
Aug 18, 2004

Hi and thank you. It seems like Fuzeon is really for people who have been through a lot of failed regimens in the past. I fall into that category. What are some of the other options for people like me (resistant to nnrtis, many others)? I've read about tipranavir - will that serve the same role as Fuzeon?


Response from Mr. Kurtyka


Fuzeon is often used by people when they start to run out of options due to resistance or intolerance of other medications. When it was first used in clinical studies it was often as a salvage drug with few other active medications available. Most providers try to position Fuzeon in an antiviral regimen earlier so that there are at least a couple of other active drugs to use Fuzeon with. Typically the more active drugs on board, the more effective the treatment will be. One of the great things about Fuzeon is that it's not cross resistant to PIs, NNRTIs and NRTIs.

You ask about other options for people with a history of failed regimens. I would consider Fuzeon as one option. Hopefully you also have access to clinical trials. There are PIs (you mention tipranavir but there are others in clinical study), NNRTIs and a variety of entry inhibitors out there. Many of the new drugs in development are targeted at people who have developed resistance to the current agents, so hopefully you will be able to locate something out there that will be effective for you.


Mail order
Best regimen

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint