HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Meds for those with few options

Hi and thank you. It seems like Fuzeon is really for people who have been through a lot of failed regimens in the past. I fall into that category. What are some of the other options for people like me (resistant to nnrtis, many others)? I've read about tipranavir - will that serve the same role as Fuzeon?

Vin

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

Vin,

Fuzeon is often used by people when they start to run out of options due to resistance or intolerance of other medications. When it was first used in clinical studies it was often as a salvage drug with few other active medications available. Most providers try to position Fuzeon in an antiviral regimen earlier so that there are at least a couple of other active drugs to use Fuzeon with. Typically the more active drugs on board, the more effective the treatment will be. One of the great things about Fuzeon is that it's not cross resistant to PIs, NNRTIs and NRTIs.

You ask about other options for people with a history of failed regimens. I would consider Fuzeon as one option. Hopefully you also have access to clinical trials. There are PIs (you mention tipranavir but there are others in clinical study), NNRTIs and a variety of entry inhibitors out there. Many of the new drugs in development are targeted at people who have developed resistance to the current agents, so hopefully you will be able to locate something out there that will be effective for you.

-dk

Mail order
Best regimen