HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

undetectable but falling cd4

started med 4 years ago inmediatly after being diagnosed with hiv with vl 20000 and cd4 650 taking combivir and sustiva, vl has always been undetectable and cd4 between 900 and 1100 after starting med. todays result was vl. undetactable and cd4 710 from 960 3 months ago. what can this be, i have been on a diet(eating less, skipping meals) and have been working out a lot in the last 4 months. my doctor tells me if cd4 decreases more i should change med. what is you opinion ? what can cause this sudden drop in cd4.? thanks ,CH

Response from Dr. Sherer

Flucuations in T cell counts are more common at higher levels, ie above 500. You could ask your doctor whether the T cell percent also changed greatly; if it did not, this would suggest that this fall is less meaningful.

As long as you have maintained viral load suppression for this long, I would not be too concerned with this single value, and await the next value. HIV management is a long haul, and you have to pace yourself and not react too strongly to each value. Your health is measured by many more parameters than just the most recent T cell count.

Talk about this with your doctor.

Another way to remember to take your meds.
Replcation capacity