HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

a possible new way to take hiv meds?

hi I had a strange idea and wanted to put it out there just incase it may be a good one

if meds were cycled like 3 months on 1 cocktail then imidiatly swich to a different cocktail do you think it may slow down drug resistance?

I notice steroid users do this to keep the steroids working longer with less side efects tho I realise the 2 drug types do work differntly and for differnt reasons.

its just a "what if" I havent seen looked into yet

Response from Dr. Sherer

This novel idea has been put to a clinical trial, called the 'swatch' study, in which two regimens were tested against each other and a third strategy which alternated between the two regimens every 2 months. In this short term, small trial, the results of the switch group were mildly better than either other arm alone.

Nonetheless, with excellent regimens available, in some cases with once daily dosing, low pill burdens, and good tolerability, I do not advise experimentation. There are enough proven effective options out there. I urge you to talk to your doctor about these options. And I urge you not to put any strange ideas into practice before you run them by your doctor.

How can I get rid of resistant Chlamydia
Huge fluctuations in CD4 levels