HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

How can I get rid of resistant Chlamydia

I am a single male, 30 living in Thailand and finding it hard to get good medical help. I have had what might be chlamydia for a month now - nothing showed in the test, but the doctor thought that this is what it is.

I had initially taken 500mg cifloxin daily. This failed to work fully after two weeks, and the doctor put me on doxycyline (4 tablets daily, 2 in the morning and 2 at night, at the same time as the Cifloxin - seemed like a strong dose). Its been 4 weeks altogether now and I can sometimes still feel some slight irritation of the urethra, though no discharge since day 2 of medication.

I have read online of resistant forms of Chlamydia and taking azithromycin. Are resistant forms impossible to get rid of? Should I ask my doctor about azithromycin/and get a new doctor.

Response from Dr. Sherer

You may simply have residual effects of healing chlamydia, so I would await further symptoms and have repeat STD tests at your next visit.

You are correct that resistant strains have been reported, for which alternative medications, such as azithromycin, can be effective. You should talk to your physician about this question, and ask for a consultant or new physician knowledgable in the management of STDs if these encounters are unsatisfactory. And, of course, I advise an HIV test as well.

Effects of drugs on liver
a possible new way to take hiv meds?