HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Drug side effects

I just asked another question regarding my husband and his meds. My other question is, he also has MAI and is on meds for that, which are Mycobutin, Ethambutol and Biaxin. Can these meds affect his liver also? I really admire your work, this website is so great!

Response from Dr. Sherer

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Yes, each of those drugs can affect the liver, with Mycobutin being the most likely. However, the overall chance of liver toxicity with these drugs alone is small. The best answer to this question will come from his doctor, who is monitoring the effect of these and other medications on his liver periodically.

As always, the best way to answer these questions is to take them to your husband's doctor.

viramune to sustiva
Effects of drugs on liver