HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Wrong Dosage

Hi. I went for my second refill of sustiva, when I got home I noticed that the pills were caplets instead of capsules from the first prescription. Also the MGs were different from what the container and Dr. prescriped. Instead of 600mg I was taking 200mg. Was sustiva strong enough the first time with the 200mgs?

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, there is no difference in taking one (1) 600mg caplet per day and taking three (3) 200mg capsules once per day. By the FDA approval, and by the pharmacologic studies comparing the two, they have been found to be equivalent.

Your story is an important one. I hope that you read the bottle carefully, because in the past you took three (3) 200 mg capsules once per day, and now you should be taking one (1) caplet of 600 mg once per day. If you are taking three (3) of the 600mg tablets, you should immediately reduce the dose to one tablet per day.

I urge you to notify your doctor immediately of the change from the pharmacy. Sometimes they will make this substitution without informing the patient or the doctor, and that is an opportunity for mistakes to occur.

missed med
Combivar