Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Late Dose
Jul 24, 2004

Hi, Dr. Sherer...

I'm writing today with a timing question. Have been on Sustiva-Viread-Epivir for about six-and-a-half months now, once a day dosing (and in that time have only missed one dose). I usually take all my pills together within a 10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. window before going to bed.

I went to a party last night, got a bit drunk, came home and fell into bed without taking them. Then woke up at 5:30 a.m., remembered, and immediately took the pills. So I guess I was about five hours late... And I plan to take my pills tonight at the regular time. Is this the right thing to do, and has this one incident put me at risk for resistance?

I recently reached undetectable VL after having started treatment with a very high VL (860,000), and I'm concerned about jeopardizing my success.

Best, D

Response from Dr. Sherer

You are correct that your regimen is vulnerable to resistance in the event of missed doses, as both 3TC and EFV require only a single mutation to develop resistance.

According to the available pharmacokinetics of your medications, a delay of 5 hours from your usual timing every 24 hours would increase the risk of resistance by a small degree only. It is not possible to place a number on that risk.

You did the right thing to take the next dose as soon as you realized the oversight, and I would agree with re-establishing your usual routine for medications as soon as possible thereafter.

Finally, I urge you to talk to your doctor about these events. In this case, a slip in adherence was caused by alcohol, a very common occurrence. Perhaps you could plan ahead if you are planning to drink, i.e. take the evening dose a little earlier...and perhaps you could remind yourself to enjoy yourself without drinking too much to forget yourself.

Previous
Developing resistance
Next
missed med

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.