HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Can I stop 4th drug?

I am on Viread, Epivir and Viramune. My VL never went undetectable (usually around 100-500). Doc intesified by adding Videx EC (once in morning). Now undetectable. What are you thoughts on dropping the Videx EC now that I'm undetectable?

Response from Dr. Sherer

I would be very cautious here, and only take your next steps in consultation with your doctor.

There are too few well-conducted trials of intensification as happened here to be able to cite clinical trial data as a source of information for your situation. However, the fact that you never became undetectable in the past, and then did so when the DDI-EC was added, suggests that your doctor's intervention was an effective one.

I would particularly be uncomfortable taking that step if you had just become undetectable recently. i.e. in the last month or two.

I suggest that you let your doctor know that you would be interested in simplifying your regimen, and the reason why. This is particularly important if you are experiencing side effects that are impairing your quality of life. You can then decide what to do next together.

Neurotoxoplasmosis Drug Resistance
Meds and Timing