The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Neurotoxoplasmosis Drug Resistance
Jun 30, 2004


My grandmother is 65 years old and has HIV. She developed neurotoxoplasmosis as an oportunist infection and started the regular treatment with Sulfadiazine, but she developed a resistance to Sulfadizine so it wouldn't be effective anymore. So she started to treat with Clindamycin and it is aparently causing some sort of allergy on her... so i would like to know if there is any other replacement drug for the same purpose that she can start using instead of this two (sulfadiazine and clindamycin), and what could be done.

Thanks and sorry about my english.

Douglas from Brazil

Response from Dr. Sherer

As susceptibilty tests are not routinely done for toxoplasmosis, I will assume that the reason for discontinuing sulfadiazine plus pyrimethamine was a lack of clinical response, rather than resistance. This happens often, i.e. a lack of clinical response occurs in 10-35% of patients in various clinical studies.

Rash and other forms of intolerance are unfortunately common with clindamycin, occuring in 20% of patients in some clinical trials.

Studies on alternative regimens to the above two standard regimens are few, and so I will simply note some of the regimens that have been tried, as options that you can discuss with your grandmother's physician. Success rates have varied in uncontrolled clinical studies with these agents, in the range of 40-60% for initial response. Alternative regimens include TMP-SMX (Bactrim) + pyrimethamine + either dapsone, clarithromycin or azithromycin; trimetrexate + pyimethamine (with leakovorin 'rescue'), and atovaquone monotherapy.

Can I stop 4th drug?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint