HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

New treatment. OK?

I just started on this new treatment: norvir 100mg qd videx ec 250 qd reyataz 300 mg qd viread 300 mg qd I also take prozac 20mg qd and lopid 600mg bid. After taking the new meds for about a week I developed a rash similar to the one I got when I started Sustiva . After 4 days the rash looks better. Is this a side effect and will it subside? Thanks in advance, rc

Response from Dr. Sherer

Rash is not a common side effect with any of the new medications that you have started, i.e. it occurred in < 2% of patients in clinical trials of those medications. Nonetheless, rash can occur in response to any new medication, and the timing suggests that it may be related.

As there are numerous other causes of rash, I would suggest that you contact your clinical caregiver and discuss this question with him or her. It may be advisable for your clinician to see you and form their own opinion of the rash, though if it continues to resolve while you are taking the medications it may not be necessary.

Falling CD4 count
?