Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Falling CD4 count
Jun 30, 2004

My labs in Jan. '04 were undetectable V/L and CD4 was 503. My latest labs this month were undetectable and 393. I did my lab work a week after major surgery (replaced 2 disks in neck & rt. hand carpal tunnel). Could this cause the blip in my CD4 count? I don't meet with the doctor until late July to discuss these results and I am concerned about the 21% drop. Should I be? Thanks for all of your help. It is appreciated tremendously. Jeep

Response from Dr. Sherer

At the higher range of CD4 cell counts, i.e. >500, there is more variability from week to week, as much as 25%. And, as you suggest, other factors can influence the CD4 cell count, such as other infections. I have no specific information regarding the surgery you have had, but it is reasonable to think that it might be an explanation for a modest decline. Another way to interpret whether this change is meaningful is to compare the CD4 percentage from the Jan and June values. If there was a difference less than 3% (eg from 30% to 28%), it is more likely that the change in the absolute number should concern you. Your doctor will likely ask for a repeat value to aid in the interpretation of this value.

In sum, I would not be overly concerned, as your viral load was below detection in both cases, indicating the your regimen is successfully controlling viral replication. I suggest that you discuss these questions with your doctor at your next visit.

Previous
A bunch of questions about resistance testing
Next
New treatment. OK?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.