Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

If I miss and dose, should I double dose?
Apr 26, 2004

I just realized that I missed my morning dose of kaletra (though I took my emtriva and the other one whose name escapes me.) I just took my evening dose of 3. Should I double up on my kaletra (take 3 more now in the evening for a total of 6) or wait and just take my dose tommorow am.

Response from Dr. Sherer

No. If you miss a dose and 12 hours have elapsed, you should just resume taking the normal dosage.

If you missed a dose and discovered the error 6 hours after it was due, I would advise you to take the next dose at that moment, and then gradually re-adjust the following doses to resume your normal schedule.

By doubling the dose, you would risk a mildly increased risk of GI side effects with no benefit.

Previous
NNRTI microbicide: TMC-120
Next
medication reaction with each other

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.