Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Abacavir and Tenofovir
Apr 24, 2004

Hallo!I'm italian and Iread your suggestions about medicins association.Why, don't you recommend abacavir+tenofovir commercil name in Italy Ziagen and Viread? Thanks

Response from Dr. Sherer

Because these two drugs together, in combination with lamivudine, in several trials have performed miserably in treatment naive patients.

In the largest study, the ES30009, which intended to compare this regimen to an EFV + ABC + 3TC-containing regimen, one half of the patients on ABC + TDF + 3TC failed. The study was halted due to the dismal performance of this arm. And half of those failures had multi-class resistance, i.e. resistance to TDF and 3TC, or to both ABC and 3TC.

Virologic analyses of this and other studies of this regimen show surprisingly weak antiviral activity of the regimen, on the order of a one log decline in viral load, which is far weaker than either tenofovir or abacavir alone.

It is not clear why this regimen did so badly. There do not appear to be predictable drug interactions between the two drugs, though this has not been studied exhaustively. Resistance alone does not appear to account for the high degree of failure, i.e. baseline resistance assays did not detect high levels of resistance to any of the 3 drugs in the regminen. More study is needed to answer this important question.

These results should lead clinicians and patients alike to be VERY CONSERVATIVE when it comes to choosing a first line regimen. There are several excellent, simple, well-tolerated options in this era. One should choose from them and avoid the temptation to experiment with new combinations until they have been shown to be effective in clinical trials. It seems this lesson is learned over and over in HIV medicine.

So, the recommendation is very strong that the combination of 3TC and TDF and ABC should NEVER be used in naive patients.

In my own practice, I have conducted a review of ALL patients on both TDF and ABC in light of this information to look for any evidence of unexpectedly poor performance. This of course includes many patients who are heavily treatment experienced, and its often difficult to discern a single reason for regimen failure.

Previous
returning to a previous resistant drug.
Next
Confused

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.