HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

meds and supplement interactions

my present regimen is invarase@ 8x200mg, norvir@100mg, videx@400mg, epivir@300mg, all once daily. my counts have remained pretty consistant for well over a year. vl<50, cd-4 @800-900. I also take a multi-vitamin and iron. I have recently added 1000 mg vitamin C, 8000i.u. A, Soy Isoflavones, aloe vera juice, green tea, and white tea. My past two months lab results were... feb...vl194, cd-4@735; mar... vl682, cd-4@800. What could be the cause of such a drastic change in my counts. Are there any contraindications of my meds and supplements? Thanks

Response from Dr. Sherer

First, I don't agree that the changes in your count are 'drastic'. You have low level viremia, which may be of no consequence (if you are again re-suppressed with you next measurement), of little consequence, or it may be an early sign that your regimen is failing. The next step, promptly, with your next viral load is to obtain a resistance test to look for evidence of resistance to this regimen, as well as to work hard on taking all of your doses once daily (you may already be doing this).

I know of no drug interactions with the supplements you are taking. However, that describes the problem with supplements, the possibility of interactions with drugs has not been studied with the vast majority of supplements.

I suggest you take this issue up with your doctor. Without changing anything, my own recommendation would be to repeat the viral load and CD4 cell count, and check the resistance test, and see where you are. If the viral load is still high, and there is a remote chance that your supplements might be interfering with absorption or interacting with you medications, I would suggest stopping the supplements for a few months to see if any effect is noted.

medication reaction with each other
Effectiveness of meds while taking hydrocodone