Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resistance of outlier strains
Mar 16, 2004

Doctor I have a question about the resistance pattern of the O strain of viruses. I don't know if much is known about these strains, but do you know if they are resistant to all the NNRTIs or will some of the newer products work against these resistant strains? Will other classes of drugs work against these strains? The reason I ask is concern for a relation abroad.

Response from Dr. Sherer

There is no evidence of variations in the response of people with non-B strains to antiretroviral therapy, nor in the development of resistance to ART or in novel patterns of resistance to ART. Patients with the O strain of viruses can expect positive outcomes with ART at this time.

Much research is currently underway to answer this question more definitively.

Previous
Adherence Issues
Next
stopping meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.