HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Resistance of outlier strains

Doctor I have a question about the resistance pattern of the O strain of viruses. I don't know if much is known about these strains, but do you know if they are resistant to all the NNRTIs or will some of the newer products work against these resistant strains? Will other classes of drugs work against these strains? The reason I ask is concern for a relation abroad.

Response from Dr. Sherer

There is no evidence of variations in the response of people with non-B strains to antiretroviral therapy, nor in the development of resistance to ART or in novel patterns of resistance to ART. Patients with the O strain of viruses can expect positive outcomes with ART at this time.

Much research is currently underway to answer this question more definitively.

Adherence Issues
stopping meds