|CD4 200, what can she start on
Feb 22, 2004
1. My wife is 34yrs,weighs 60kg and with 4 kids. She just tested positive with CD4 200. We live in Africa where ARVs variety is uncommon.
She is having contact/severe headache and have not started on the medication.
Advise on what possible combinations she can start on. And what will you recommend for the headache. This is very urgent. Ahmed
Response from Dr. Sherer
To answer these questions and be assessed for her headache, I advise her to see a physician, though I know this may not be simple or even possible.
I can't make specific treatment recommendations, but the website for the WHO Treatment Guidelines is noted below.
There you will find recommendations for initial therapy. In general, they recommend starting with either an NNRTI-based regimen, i.e. efavirenz or nevirapine plus 2 NRTIs, or a protease inhibitor based regimen, such as lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra) or saquinavir plus ritonavir with 2 NRTIs.
Efavirenz shouldn't be used if you and she are thinking of having more children, due to an association with birth defects.
Is combivir okay
Resistance to sustiva after 5 days on treatment?
- Aids Or Hiv From Having Sex With A Girl On Her Period
- How Soon Do Hiv Symptoms Appear After Infection?
- In Hiv Does White Blood Cells Or Red Blood Cells Have To Do With Hiv
- Hiv And Feeling Numbness
- If A Man Is Infected With Hiv Can He Pass It On To His Unborn Child?
- Is Having A Lower Back Pain An Early Sign Of HIV?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.