Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RESISTANCE
Feb 13, 2004

I HAVE BEEN ON A THREE DRUG COMBO FOR THE PAST THREE YEARS RECENTLY I HAVE BUILT A RESIS TANCE TO EPIVIR ZERIT AND I ALSO TAKE VIRAMUNE WHICH IS FINE MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM IS VERY SENSITIVE. IAM TRYING TO FIND A NEW EASY THREE DRUG REGIMEN TO TAKE THAT WILL BE TOLERABLE TO MY SYSTEM AND ALSO EASY TO MY BUSY LIFE STYLE.......IN NEED OF ADVICE

Response from Dr. Sherer

The answer to this question lies in your pursuing your remaining options with your doctor. There is no single or simple best answer, not obvious single regimen to start next.

Certainly with D4T and 3TC resistance, there are likely to be options that remain in the NRTI class, and which are simple and relatively well tolerated, e.g. tenofovir, or abacavir.

The most important information to guide this process is the result of a recent genotype and/or phenotype test while you were taking your current regimen.

Then you and your doctor can pick the best next regimen for you. It is important to know if nevirapine, which you have had success with, is still active against your virus.

If so, then perhaps a change of the NRTIs will be sufficient. If not, you are likely to change to the protease inhibitor class. Among these there are several options, including lopinavir/ritonavir, boosted inverase (saquinavir), or atazanavir, each of which can be administered once daily.

Previous
I am allergic to protese inhibitors
Next
Undetectable and negative test results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.