Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

reply to 215 & LOW VIRAL LOAD
Jan 20, 2003

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING MY EMAIL. I'M NOT QUITE SURE I UNDERSTAND THE REPLY THOUGH. MY BOYFRIEND IS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE BEST WAY TO PROVE THAT HE ABSOLUTELY IS HIV+. HE IS HOPING IT IS SOME KIND OF MISTAKE, SINCE HE IS AN "UNLIKELY CANDIDATE" PER THE CLINICS HE HAS VISITED. HE TESTED + A FEW TIMES IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. BUT EARLIER THIS YEAR TESTED 215 W/ A LOW VIRAL LOAD. THE CLINIC SAID THIS WAS UNUSUAL, THAT VIRAL LOAD SHOULD BE HIGH. WOULD HIS EX USING AZT CAUSE A FALSE POSITIVE RESULT? IS AZT USED IN UNRELATED HIV SITUATIONS?

Response from Dr. Little

No - this issue is whether the HIV that was transmitted and is causing the infection in your boyfriend might have come from someone who had AZT resistance and then passed it to your friend. I don't know - but this is my only thought.

Previous
cosmetic surgery a bad idea?
Next
215 & VIRAL LOAD AGAIN

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.