HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

reply to 215 & LOW VIRAL LOAD

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING MY EMAIL. I'M NOT QUITE SURE I UNDERSTAND THE REPLY THOUGH. MY BOYFRIEND IS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE BEST WAY TO PROVE THAT HE ABSOLUTELY IS HIV+. HE IS HOPING IT IS SOME KIND OF MISTAKE, SINCE HE IS AN "UNLIKELY CANDIDATE" PER THE CLINICS HE HAS VISITED. HE TESTED + A FEW TIMES IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. BUT EARLIER THIS YEAR TESTED 215 W/ A LOW VIRAL LOAD. THE CLINIC SAID THIS WAS UNUSUAL, THAT VIRAL LOAD SHOULD BE HIGH. WOULD HIS EX USING AZT CAUSE A FALSE POSITIVE RESULT? IS AZT USED IN UNRELATED HIV SITUATIONS?

Response from Dr. Little

No - this issue is whether the HIV that was transmitted and is causing the infection in your boyfriend might have come from someone who had AZT resistance and then passed it to your friend. I don't know - but this is my only thought.

cosmetic surgery a bad idea?
215 & VIRAL LOAD AGAIN