HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

resistance potential?

My partner and I are both hiv+, I'm not on the any meds at the present time because my numbers are pretty steady, only nutritional supplements. My quesion is: my partner is on a SUSTIVA/COMBIVIR COMBO; I'm really CONCERNED that he is not taking his combo properly. His usual method of taking his combo is at 9AM in the morning and at 8PM at night. Shouldn't the combo be taken either at 9AM in the morning and 9PM at night or 8AM in the morning and then 8PM at night as close to the 12 hour interval as possible. I talked to the pharmacist and he recommended that he should take it as close to the twelve hours as possible to avoid the potential for resistence. I told my partner about the information that the pharmacist gave me, but he won't listen to me, he says that he has been taking it this way for a couple of months now. I'm skeptical because he hasn't had a viral load test in awhile so if there's resistence he would not be able to tell. Thanks Concern.

Response from Dr. Little

Well - while I agree that the ideal is to take combivir every twelve hours - I would have said that if your partner is really only off by one hour - that posed a VERY low risk for any possible resistance. Unless there are other issues involved, I would have said that this was adequate (which is not to say that working toward an every 12 hour schedule isn't still the ideal, but he's pretty darn close!).

Ziagen-Retrovir-Viramune
cosmetic surgery a bad idea?