HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Ziagen-Retrovir-Viramune

Dear Susan,

After having been taking Viracept and Combivir I developed resistance according to the Doctor. Now I just started taking a combination of RETROVIR-ZIAGEN-VIRAMUN..What do you have to say about this. Shouldnt I be taking something else or is this a cocktail that I can take for a long time providing it works ? Thank you for your prompt reply. Worried

Response from Dr. Little

The combination that you are taking currently may be sufficient to control your viral load - but without knowing your viral load or T cells, this is a bit difficult to predict. Also - did you have a drug resistance test when you failed the previous regimen? It would help to know which drugs you failed on the previous regimen in selecting the optimal follow-up. So - in general, yes this is a potent regimen. Is it potent enough for you? I cannot answer this without more details. I would say that any combination of drugs that keeps your viral load consistently below 50 copies and does not cause you to miss doses because of side effects or inconvenience is likely to work for a long time.

Immuntiy against HIV possilbe?
resistance potential?